Rules & Competition
The policies of SCOTIABANK® ROAD HOCKEY TO CONQUER CANCER
will ensure the safety and enjoyment of participants. Safety is of the utmost importance to everyone involved with SCOTIABANK® ROAD HOCKEY TO CONQUER CANCER
. We care deeply about the well-being of our Players, Game Day Crew and Volunteers. As a participant, you play a role in not only your own safety, but in the safety of your fellow participants.
SCOTIABANK® ROAD HOCKEY TO CONQUER CANCER
is a Fundraising Event for Cancer Research – first and foremost. All participants are expected to exhibit good sportsmanship. Any intolerable
behavior such as fighting, bullying, intimidation, intoxication, etc. can result in immediate
expulsion from the Event and the Grounds with no refunds.
RULES AND INFRACTIONS
- Games are 25 minutes (run time) in length. If both teams agree to have a 5 minute intermission in between the game, they can communicate this to the referee who will ensure a break is given. There will be ample time for entrance/exit and warm-up all under the referee’s discretion.
- Each team must have a minimum of 8 players and a maximum of 12 players.
- Each game will be 3-on-3, plus one (1) goalie.
- Each game (and second half) will commence with a face-off (“N-H-L” is preferred).
- Players are allowed to substitute at any time. If too many players are on at one time; the referee has discretion to reward possession to the non-offending team or call a penalty shot on the offending team.
- Due to tight timelines, there will be no substituting of goalies during a game. If a goalie is injured, then there may be a substitution, but the injured player may not return to play out of the net for that game.
- When a goalie covers the ball, the opposing team must give sufficient space for the goalie to play the ball to one of his/her teammates to resume play.
- If a ball leave the playing surface, the referee will supply a new ball to the opposite team the ball last touched before going out of play. The team without the ball must give adequate space to the player receiving the ball from the referee.
- After a goal is scored, the scoring team must retreat to at least half court while the other team retrieves the ball from the net. There are no face-offs after goals.
- There will be a referee assigned to every game. The referee’s decisions are final!
- All minor penalties assessed will result in a penalty shot for the other team. For penalty shots, the ball will be placed at center ice, once the shooting player touches the ball, there can be no backward movement. After the ball has been shot, the ball is dead and is given to the defending team. Penalties will include:Tripping, High-sticking, Hooking, Elbowing, Slashing, Too-many-men (or women), Cross-checking, Goalie interference.
- Sticks cannot be raised above the waist, whether it be a backswing, follow-through or in contact with an opponent.
- SLAPSHOTS ARE NOT ALLOWED and if deemed intentional or dangerous, can result in a penalty shot for the other team.
- Standard road hockey penalties apply. For every infraction, a penalty shot will be assessed against the offending team. If a player is called for a more serious infraction (spearing, butt-ending, spitting, etc.) they will be immediately ejected from that game and possibly the event.
- If an injury occurs, play stops immediately until the player is safely removed from the playing surface.
- All types of body contact such as shoulder-checking, pushing, shoving, etc. are NOT allowed and can result in not only a penalty shot for the other team, but possible expulsion from the event.
- Continued unsafe play, overt aggressive play or fighting by an indivisual may be cause for expulsion from the event with no reimbursement of registration fee or money fundraised. Always keep in mind why we are playing and plan to have fun!
- Any player deemed overly intoxicated by the referee will be ejected from the game with no refund of registration fee or reimbursement of their fundraising.
- If you are unsure about any of the rules or policies regarding SCOTIABANK® ROAD HOCKEY TO CONQUER CANCER, contact the Road Hockey Office at 1-877-541-4646 for clarification.
Please note that SCOTIABANK® ROAD HOCKEY TO CONQUER CANCER
proceeds rain, shine, or sleet!